Saturday, August 23, 2008

New Toys and Walks on the Leash

Oh boy! My he-person came home from the store bringing new toys for me. Of course, since I wasn't born yesterday, I know that it is important to look this particular gift horse in the mouth because when he comes bearing gifts, there's usually a catch. This time he brought a new feather toy and a long tube with holes at each end and one in the middle. I guess I'm supposed to tunnel through the tube, but there has to be a catch somewhere.

In the first place, the tunnel is made of fabric that cracks and crinkles when it's touched, so the noise kind of scared me at first. But I finally got brave and worked up the nerve to crawl through it, and what happens? Something attacks my behind and I can't turn around to fight it off! Grrr-r-r-r.

So now I know why he bought the feather toy -- so he could entice me into the tunnel, then attack me from behind with the feather. Humph! There's one thing he didn't count on, though. I'm so long when I'm stretched out that I can almost reach the far end while I've still got my back end out the other side. Now that I've smartened up, that makes it hard for my he-person to get me all the way inside the tunnel. Nah nah nah nah nah nah. I'm sure I will enjoy playing in the tunnel all by myself, but I do appreciate an audience that will laugh at me. Maybe I'll make up my own games with the tunnel.

My people have also started taking me out for walks again. We missed a few weeks while traveling, then when we got settled in here there were too many ants, and so spray was used all around the outside. Now it is good and dry, so my time has come to get trussed up in the harness and hauled out the door. We did this a couple of days ago, but I didn't get very far.

Last night it finally hit me how much fun this actually was, so I took a long hike. Of course, I was encouraged by my he-person pulling straight up on the leash so I couldn't lie down on the ground. My method of operation up to now has to been take two steps, lie down, chew on the grass, get up and take two more steps, and so on. So my walks were always short since it took me about 20 minutes to take half-a-dozen steps. But last night I walked in the grass and found out I really did enjoy being outdoors and walking. I even went across the road to another grassy area. Heck, I might want to do this every day! Purr-r-r-r.

No comments: